This is a family favorite around our house, and it’s sure to be a hit in yours too! And what’s even better is that this exceptionally tasty Beef with Vegetables recipe leaves you with a few extra ingredients you can use in not one, but two amazing and healthy recipes this week.
• 2 lbs. beef rump roast
• 1 medium onion
• ½ green bell pepper
• ½ red bell pepper
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 carrots
• 6 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 teaspoons Spanish pimentón
• ¼ cup white wine
• 1 bag frozen peas and carrots (10 oz)
1. Chop the onion, carrots, garlic, red pepper, and green pepper into small pieces. Pour six tablespoons of olive oil into a pot over medium heat, and add the chopped vegetables. Place the roast on top of the vegetables, and cover for a few minutes. When the vegetables start cooking and produce a sizzling sound, cover and allow it to cook for five minutes. Turn the roast over, and allow it to cook for five more minutes.
*Note: Save the unused half red pepper and half green pepper from this recipe for use in the Tuna Pie I’ll show you in the next post.
2. Once the whole roast is slightly brown all around, add enough water to cover the vegetables. Then add the white wine and cover. Allow it to cook over low heat for about 45 minutes, while turning the roast over every 15 to 20 minutes to allow it to cook evenly.
3. After the 45 minutes, take the roast out of the pot while leaving the vegetables inside the pot, and allow the roast to cool before cutting it. Now, using a hand-held mixer, blend together all the vegetables in the pot until they are completely pureed. Add salt and two teaspoons of Spanish pimentón, and continue cooking on low heat.
4. By hand, or using an electric meat cutter, cut the meat into quarter inch thick slices. Depending on how thick the roast is, some pink or bleeding at the center of the meat may be visible. This does not matter, as the roast will be cooked some more.
5. Add the sliced meat to the vegetable mixture, and then add the frozen peas and carrots, and cover. Allow it to cook on low for another 30 to 40 minutes.
The dish is now ready. Keep it in the pot until time to serve.
*Note: Spoon out approximately one cup of the sauce from the Beef with Vegetables, place it in a freezer bag, and put it in the freezer to be used on with the Pasta with Parmesan Cheese and Meat Sauce I’ll be posting soon. It’s amazing!
As with our Healthy Pasta with Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe, this dish will suffice for two dinners, so save some for a night later in the week. Until next time!