A healthy lifestyle involves not only preparing meals at home with healthy ingredients but also making time to exercise as a family. Unfortunately, living the fast-paced American lifestyle may not always allow for that.
So, we’ve compiled a list of 10 physically active things that you and your family can do without changing daily routines.
Get your family moving with the these simple tips:
- On your way home from work and school, stop by a nearby park and allow the kids to play for one hour before heading home to start homework and cook dinner.
- Limit screen time to one hour per day. Children will have to find something else to do and use their imagination in the process!
- Many community recreation centers have activities for kids of all ages. Find out what is available in your area and try something new.
- Park your car at a nearby parking lot and walk home. After dinner, walk back and pick it up.
- Find a community newspaper that lists activities available on the weekends.
- Walk your kids to school.
- Take the dog for a walk. If your kids are old enough, make them responsible for exercising the dog.
- Allow your kids to play outside with friends if you live in a safe neighborhood.
- Older kids may enjoy mowing the lawn, washing your car or gardening.
- Try different activities until you find something that your children enjoy!
Get more ideas for family-fun physical activities:
In my book, The Step Up Diet, I provide a step-by-step plan to help families experience what it is like to eat the right way, the Step Up Diet teaches the body and the brain to recognize what types of food are healthy to eat, and to establish a healthy eating schedule. By focusing on one step—one segment of the day—at a time, the ultimate goal becomes less overwhelming and more manageable, helping us stay on target with our goals of eating healthier in 2013.